Marketing your event
This is where the fun really begins! Marketing a dragon boat event can be quite rewarding as you get to really connect with the community and also help promote a wonderful cause or charity if your event is associated with one.
There are some places I recommend starting to promote your event:
- Through all the teams that are participating – ask them to also promote it at their workplace and with their peers and family
- Do a press release in the local paper
- Place advertisements in surrounding gyms
- Ask the local charity to promote it through their members
- Encourage shop owners and businesses participating at the event to promote the event in their store
Those are just some of the areas where you can promote and market your event. Ideally you want to allow for at least one month prior to the event of advertising and marketing. That way you can also capture new teams and potentially more sponsors who would be interested in an event like this.
Also you will also want to consider creating event-related print materials, such as brochures, registration packages, participant waivers, and signage. These are some of the marketing print material you will need to include when running an event.